Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fun In Sobriety

You can't go wrong.  It's not part of the plan.  There's no way not to get where you are going.  There's no way to miss your destination.  If God is your target, you're in luck, because God is so big, you can't miss.  May 8 - Meditations from "Conversations with God" Book 1, page 88.

Gooooooood Moooooorrrrrnnnniiinnngggggg you bunch of AAAALLKKKIIIIIEEESS. How the hell are you.  I'm sober.  Hope you're the same.

Saturday Night was the usual, dinner with friends before the Speaker meeting at Lambda.  Folllowing the speaker, Tracy R - who was great -, there was a Lambda fundraiser titled Ocho de Mayo.  There were 11 pinatas.  It was $10 to join those that got to pick up the "treasures" when the pinata was broken.  Each pinata had a special prize - .  The payee that got the prize won a spot for the end in which there were 11 prizes.  Prizes were 25,000 Continental miles,  2 Cyndee Lauper tickets, 2 Carrie Underwood tickets, Ballet tickets, $100 cash, and other prizes.  It was a hoot watching these gay men and lesbians trying to whack the pinata.  There were two funny or should I say outstanding moments. One was when the pinata broke, everything fell into a pile on the floor.  This lesbian sat on the pile and one by one she tossed the candy out and then found the plastic prize.  Then the announcer announced the prize and of course she had it.  So as winner she got to whack the next pinata.  She was blindfolded and turned around three times and had her back to pinata.  I made a comment to the group I was sitting with " bet she plays baseball and is gonna whack the shit out that pinata:  I no sooner got the words out of my mouth and the pinata swung by her for the third time and WHACK - she knocked the damned thing to shreds and suff fleww all over the hall.  The next pinata came up and it was broken and the lesbian again sat on the pile of prizes, two queens grabbed her one on each foot and drug her off the floor.  Brought the house down.  I bought in when there were three pinatas left.  Knowing if I got down on my hands and knees this 310 pound queen was not getting back up so I asked if someone could pick up for me and yes they had two people that had volunteerd to be pickeruppers. Dan F was my pickeruppper and only got one item.  It was a plastic puzzle.  When they anounced the plastic puzzle I yelped and got it.  So I got to do the next pinata. I was flindfolded and turned around and started swinging at my pinata, a bowling pen, after several swings, WHACK, I got it dead center and stuff went everywhere.  At the end, the 11 winners names were called and one by one we went up and took an envelope off of the board.  Then the announcer took the envelope and announced the winners prize.  I won  two yoga lessons and a yoga rug - value $110.  Now can you just imagine me in a Lotus position.  I don't think so.  Anyway, it was a lot of fun, it was a fundraiser and the night was successful.  It was a fun sober evening for a bunch of recovering drunks that laughed, scratched, giggled and had a hell of a lot of fun.  We are not a glum lot.

Tonight I am grateful for:

  • God, my Higher Power

  • My Sobriety

  • Mamie, my schnauzer.

  • My Sponsor

  • The joy of getting to watch Petey (Joe's min. dachshund I'm pet setting this week) and Mamie playing.  Pet antics are wonderful.

  • A great speaker tonight.

  • Fun and laughter

  • Being Sighted

  • My friends

  • All y'all too.
Y'all be pretty now, ya heah!

10 comments:

steveroni said...

Zane, I just smiled all the way through your description of the Sat night meeting, etc.....GREAT!

So glad you--and everyone--had a good time, and the police were not called, and no shots were fired, and (I suppose) everyone got where they were going afterward--SAFELY!

Keep writing, Zane! thanks.

dAAve said...

I may start a petition for Zane to do yoga.

Syd said...

That sounds like a fun time. I would like to take a whack at one of those pinatas. Your description is vivid! Enjoy your Tuesday!

Trailboss said...

It sounds like a ball!! Be sure to take pictures of your yoga sessions.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Hi Zane... Today is my one year AAniversary!!! Clap for me!! Thanks!!

Bobby said...

Sounds like fun. It is always good to hear from people who are active in sobriety. The recovery process is a lifetime commitment. It is good to know that it can be a fulfilling way of life for a whole community of people.Thanks for your post.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for post glad I found your blog..
http://teatimewithlois.blogspot.com/2010/05/alanon-telephone-meetings-schedule.html

steveroni said...

Hey man, I just went back to 2008 and read about that time you "lost it all"...but you did NOT lose your sobriety, and THAT is all that counted then--and counts NOW!

Might see you in a couple weeks, we're flying to Houston Tuesday. Hope to hit a meeting, and maybe a coffee after. Hmmmmmm. Anna also looking forward to seeing you in a meeting, at LAMBDA

One Prayer Girl said...

I missed this blog so thanks for commenting on mine. It got me over here. Hello to you from over here in Naples.

Maybe I'll meet you soon.

PG

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Hope you're enjoying the summer, Pal!