Thursday, July 10, 2008

Thursday Night, July 10, 2008

Hi, Y'all. Greetings from the hinterlands of Spring, Texas. Last Wednesday when I got ready for bed at my Sister's in Silsbee, I discovered that I had left part of my CPAP machine at home. It's for sleep apnea and it is used to keep my airways open. So I had a fitless night of sleep and we went shopping at that one and only shopping place in Metropolitan Silsbee - Wal*Mart. They also have a beauty parlor there. From the looks of most of the women there, they don't do a very good job. My sister does not go there. Anyway we did the shopping for the week and the upcoming BarBeCue on Saturday. She also got sausage for Sundays breakfast burritos. Got home unloaded the groceries, picked up the meat that had spilled on the floor in the back seat and finished that. After dinner at 5:30 I left for Houston to get the rest of my CPAP Machine.
I took the portion that I had taken to Silsbee as I was staying at home for the night and going back in the AM. Mamie came back with me. She is really a good little traveler, almost as good as Dolly.
Anyway, got up Friday and put the complete machine in the car with Mamie. Opening the car door I smelled something funky. I immediately what it was. Yep, I found a rather swollen pound of ground spicy sausage under the back seat. I took it out and threw it in the trash, opened the windows and aired the car out. Got back to Silsbee about 1:30. I had also picked up a fresh pound of sausage at Brookshire Brothers in Kountze. All was well.
When I got home Sunday night, I rolled into the garage, got out and smelled something dead. Oh lordy, it was the sausage. I rolled it out of the garage into the driveway and sprayed down the garage and went inside. I put the garbage out for Tuesday, it was picked up but the sausage was stuck to the bottom so I got to keep it for another few days. Gag Gag Gag. Tonight I sprayed the can, dumped the sausage into spread out newspaper, rolled it up, put it in a box and then put the past two weeks of newspapers in that can with the box on top. Hopefully it will be gone tomorrow. I have now put the cans out for Friday pickup.
I don't know about y'all, but I could not believe that everything was open for the fourth of July except the post office and banks. That is just WRONG in my opinion. This is the most important day for this nation and it was open for SHOPPING. What happened to patriotism?
Just Wondering.
Tonight I am Grateful for:
God, my higher power.
My sobriety.
Mamie, my schnauzie.
My sponsor.
For the freedom to think, talk, and believe what I want to without fear of getting shot for it. (Well most of the time)
The color red - my favorite.
My fellow bloggers.
Y'all be pretty now, ya heah.


Scott W said...

We are a retail republic.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

You Texans seem to have a very odd way of preparing your sausage.....

Trailboss said...

It's all about the almighty dollar.

I had a similar experience with a bag of potatoes once. I was driving a Toyota Celica fastback and could not for the life of me figure out what that awful smell was. I looked the car up and down and could not find out what it was. Several really awful days later I finally looked under the back part of the hatchback and there was the stinker. A bag of potatoes at least a week old in the good ole Houston summer. Talk about gag a maggot.

Mary Christine said...

Colorado just got rid of its blue law that forbid the sale of alcohol on Sunday. I wish we could go back to the way it used to be. Remember when stores weren't even OPEN on Sunday?

Mary Christine said...

And I just triple bagged the shrimp shells from my dinner. They are going to REEK by Wednesday!