Monday, June 2, 2008

Monday Night, June 2, 2008

Most people enter into relationships with an eye toward what they can get out of them, rather than what they can put into them. June 2 Meditations from Conversations with God Book 1 page 122
.
I guess I would have to say "guilty" to the above quote. I never thought of it that way. However, I do put a lot into a relationship so maybe that is just my past actions coming forth. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
.
Had a really nice weekend. Spent Sunday with my friend Joe and we went for a drive intending to go to Burton, Texas. Burton is a little town about 100 miles west of Houston out State 290. In the late sixties and early 70's we used to go out there at least once a month on Saturday notes to a club called the Brazos Belle. It was owned by a friend of ours and they always had a live band on Saturday nights. Just an old country watering hole. And we really watered ourselves. Sometimes as many as 20 of us descended on the place. It was not unusual for us to bring sleeping bags and stay overnight in the place and then get up and have brunch. Either Joe or myself were the cooks. Quite often we split the cooking such as one did the eggs and one did the bacon and hash browns. I usually did the eggs. Several others did the Bloody Mary's. Of course we arrived in Burton with all the supplies to cook and drink. My eggs were usually 12 dozen eggs, cheddar cheese, diced green onions, bell pepper (green and red), button mushrooms with either milk or sour cream for fluffy eggs. We ate well.
.
I always mixed the ingredients together, pre-browning the onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. The the whole kit and kaboodle went into this huge iron kettle and I would stand there and stir the mixture until it started to gel into scrambled eggs. During all this preparation we had numerous bloody Marys. One time I just kept stirring these eggs, and stirring them, and they were not thickening. I got Joe to stir as the bacon and hash browns were done and I needed to get the biscuits (homemade mind you) in the oven. He also stirred and stirred. More Bloody Mary's for the Chef's please, hic. Finally after about 30 minutes of stirring, telling jokes, laughing, more Bloody Marys, this one friend we called Diana (he loved Diana Ross) told a joke and then looked at the stove and said in a Booming voice, Girls, don't you think the eggs would cook quicker if you had the fucking fire lit? What a concept. Light the fire. We have laughed about that for years. Most of those people from those parties died of aids except for Joe, my friend Larry (who know lives in San Francisco), and myself. We had a great time together, but it came to an end all too soon. But those memories will never be gone. I revel in those.
.
Anyway, Joe and I got out as far as the Brookshire cutover and it was 3 PM and we decided it was too late to really make it to Burton, so Brookshire here we came. We took US 90 back to Katy and then the 10 back into Houston. It was still a nice afternoon. We talked, we laughed, and enjoyed each others company.
Then to Joe's for a Chicken and 13 Bean soup a client of Joe's had brought over on Saturday. He has a fridge full of Soups and casseroles that Clients and friends have brought over so he does not need to cook. This 13 bean and Chicken soup will have to be a subject for another post.
.
So, as I said at the beginning of this post, I had a very pleasant weekend. Birthday meeting of Saturday night with friends. And a Sunday with Joe. And I added one more weekend of sobriety to the many that have come before. Doesn't get much better than that.
.
Tonight I am grateful for:
.
God, my Higher Power that leads, guides, and directs me on my daily journey.
My Sobriety which is so comforting with the riches it has brought me.
Mamie, my miniature schnauzer whom I grow with and lover more every day.
My Sponsor, who is loving and supportive.
Receiving a gratitude list from another sober friend from the 12:15 meeting.
A life enriched with both long term and short term friends.
The future of growth with both.
My strong spiritual connection that sustains me through life's challenges.
.
Y'all be pretty, now ya heah.

4 comments:

dAAve said...

Are you gay?

Bill said...

That's a hilarious story about the eggs. Thank God Diana was there, or you might still be standing at that cold stove, stirring and stirring. The eggs sound good, by the way. I'll take mine cooked.

Scott W said...

I knew you were gonna say the fire was out. Oh well, now you are cookin' with gas!

Pammie said...

Gosh that sounds like fun...not all the recent driving...but the old days ;)
I was in Katy last night for a meeting...and man there ain't nothin' I want to do in Brookshire.