Sunday, April 27, 2008

SUNDAY, APRIL 27, 2008

Only when you say "I did this" can you find the power to change it. April 27 Meditations from Conversation with God, Book 1
.
Lordy, this year is one third gone. And most of it was taken up by a few of last nights "speakers" at Lambda's Birthday Night. But all in all, it was a good nite with a group of people trudging through recovery and sharing their experience strength and hope.
.
This afternoon I am going over to Joe and Karl's for the rest of the day. Karl is now in Hospice home care. This started this past Friday. He has a hospital bed, a wheel chair if needed, and a plethora of other medical equipment. He finds the bed very comfortable as he cannot sleep laying down, he has to be in a semi sitting up position. They are both adjusting and are showing incredible strength as they start on this last leg of Karl's journey. It has been just a year since the diagnosis of pancreatic cancer. Most Pancan patients are gone by 9 months and very few see a year. Only about 1% of those with the disease survive. My life has been blessed with the friendship of Karl these past 30 years and I am glad I can be there for he and Joe during this most difficult time of their lives. Joe is like my brother, we have been friends for over 40 years. I can't help but think this is one of the reasons that I decided to move back to Houston after 32 years in California. Whatever.
.
Earlier today I was wiping my runny nose with a piece of paper towel and my left eyelid shut on the corner of it. Ouch, pain. 3 Hours later my left eye is solid blood shot and swollen. I have rinsed it with filtered cold water, but it looks like I have been on a toot. It will pass.
.
Today I am grateful for:
.
God my Higher Power
My Sobriety
Dolly, my Schnauzer
My Sponsor, who celebrated 26 years last night.
The inspiration of those who have came after and before me on the road to happy destiny.
The promise of thunder showers this afternoon.
.
Y'all be pretty now, ya heah.

2 comments:

Scott W said...

Toot? You slay me, Zane.

dAAve said...

Your sponsor looks more than 26 years old. Damn, I must be getting old.