Saturday, March 8, 2008

Saturday Nite, March 8, 2008

Envy not success, nor pity failure, for you know not what is success or failure to the soul's reckoning. March 8, Meditations from Conversations with God. Page 35
.
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY AAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLKKKKIES!
.
What a gorgeous day was today! Cool and a clear Texas Blue sky. It just makes one feel blessed to be part of God's world.
.
This afternoon as I was driving into town for dinner, a gallery showing, and a speaker meeting at Lambda with my friend Daave, I was behind an SUV. This bumper sticker just seemed to jump out at me as I started to pass. The sticker was blood red with white letters - "A DRUNK DRIVER KILLED BOTH OF OUR DAUGHTERS"! I cannot tell you the impact that had on me. First I had such feelings of deep sorrow for the couple in the SUV. Then I realized how blessed I am that in my 32 years of hard drinking and driving that I never hit anyone nor injured anyone, nor killed anyone. Then my thoughts went to the drunk driver hoping that he/she had gotten sober. Of the hell he/she must be going through. He/she has to live with what he/she did. The consequences of driving and drinking. The arrogance of thinking I am fine, I've only had a few drinks, I am in complete control, IT can't happen to me.
.
Then I thought of the TEXAS FLAG and what I have been told the colors represent.
.
Blue - For the Deep blue Texas sky.
Red - the bottom color is the running blood from the battle of the ALAMO.
WHITE - the top color - the spirits of those who gave their life for the independence of TEXAS.
.
Colors of the Bumper Sticker:
Red - the blood of that couples daughters whom they will never hold again. Never see their accomplishments in life.
WHITE - The spirits of the two daughters representing the thousands of innocent people that have lost their lives to another's battle with the disease of alcoholism..
.
This evening I felt a pride of being sober. I felt the blessing of being sober. And I cried for the Couple and their daughters.
.
Live SOBER, my friends, enjoy the GIFT.
.
Today I am grateful for my Higher Power, GOD; my sobriety; Dolly, my Schnauzer; my sponsor; that one day at a time I am blessed with the Gift of Sobriety.
.
Y'all be pretty now, ya heah.

6 comments:

Scott W said...

Now, THAT'S what I am talkin' about!

dAAve said...

Oh Scott, you always say that.

Trailboss said...

Wow, that was very moving.

Mary Christine said...

What a beautiful post. I love the way Texans love their State.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Nice Post, Zane!

Pammie said...

that kind of bumper sticker always brings up guilt and shame in my gut. It makes me remember how careless I was with my life and the lives of others. I'm so grateful that I don't do that anymore....it could have been me that robbed that family of their children.