February 7 - Allow each soul to walk its path. Meditations from "Conversations with God - Book 1" page 47
I have a pet peeve that sometimes I allow to become a resentment before I realize it. It is about following meeting format. At Lambda we have a set format at most meetings that when chips are given we announce the recipients first name. After the 18 month chip, we ask if anyone is celebrating one year today, or multiples today, and then we ask if anyone is celebrating a birthday this month. Each celebrant states first name, years and sobriety date. Tonight, after a wonderful share of E S & H, announcements were made, and chips were given. The person giving the chips out did the usual format through the 18 months and that was it and she walked off stage. A couple of people asked about February birthdays and the woman (in my opinion) very bitchily said "Oh you don't like the way I did it, well let's clap for everyone celebrating a birthday this month." To me it was dismissive to the February birthday celebrants. I fumed about it all the way home. And a resentment grew and snowballed. Of course I would never say anything to this person or anyone else for that matter but it just really works my last nerve. I would say something about it in a meeting later on not identifying the "offender." Now if this person was a visitor at the meeting, it would not matter, but someone that is a regular at meetings is another matter. Well, here I am just steaming by the time I get home, worked up a real mental lather, and sat down to blog. Then I opened my meditation book and the above quote was there - just blinking in bright red, fuchsia, green, and blue neon - Allow each soul to walk its path. What a concept. Hmmmmm. To me it was a very slick message to me that I do not have power over people places and things. Talk about a God shot? My serenity returned, I chilled out, and said to myself - Queen, in the big scope of things, it's no big thing. It's a character defect I will have to work on and talk to my sponsor about. Tolerance and love is our code. My bad.
Tonight when I got home I had a voice message from Rosalie inviting me over for next weekend. Colton, Sam's son will be there and they always do their thing. Rosalie said that would give us a chance to just hang out. It's a lot better sounding than the call from two weeks ago. Another God shot. In God's time not mine. I'm going to go. Friday is her 77th birthday and I will let her bring that up, Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays. I may not agree with her beliefs, but I love my sister and I do have to respect her beliefs.
I'm so glad that with all these years in AA, that I have learned restraint of tongue, pen, and additionally, keyboard. I try to practice the principles of this program in all of my affairs. Sometimes I just fall back into old behavior, but I have learned to recognize that and take appropriate action. I love being sober and letting sobriety work in my life. It rocks.
Idle thoughts of a wandering mind.
- I had amnesia one, or twice
- Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.
- All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
- What is a "free gift? Aren't all gifts free.
- They told me I was gullible and I believed them.
- Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home, and when he grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto the freeway.
- Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.
- On nice thing about egoists, they don't talk about other people.
- My weight is perfect for my height, which varies.
- I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure.
- The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
- How can there be self-help groups.
- If the world were a logical place, men would be the ones who ride horses sidesaddle.
- If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?
- Is it me, or do buffalo wings taste like chicken.
Tonight I am grateful for:
- God, my Higher Power
- My Sobriety
- Mamie, my OCD schnauzer.
- My Sponsor
- My Right eye.
- A great message from a friend sharing her E S & H at Lambda's speaker meeting tonight.
- Not having written "Fuck You" with ice cream salt in my sister's lawn this time. (I did that in 1972) Now I'm sober.
- Wisdom each day from y'alls blogs.
- All y'all.
Y'all be pretty now, ya heah.